I don’t think that any place of work is free of toxic employees, the key is to learn how to handle them so that they don’t interfere with your path to success.
Toxic people are extremely competitive in the wrong way, always negative, moan about everything and can be very abusive, they make work unbearable.
Unfortunately these people form part of your daily work routine, they are at all the meetings you attend, they sit in the same office as you, you just can’t seem to get rid of them. You might not be able to get rid of them at work, but what you can do is learn how to handle them.
5 Tips on how to handle a toxic person at work:
- Power Mindset – we can’t control how toxic people act at work but what we can do is learn how to react or not react to them. Don’t give them any space in your head, don’t worry about what they are doing or what they are going to do next. Focus on a clear and powerful mindset.
- Stick with positive people – make sure that you always surround yourself with the positive people at work. Don’t ever be alone with a toxic person they will try to tap all that is positive out of you and will try to get you to join them on the toxic side.
- Set your boundaries – put your foot down with toxic people from the word go, don’t give into their manipulation because once you are in they won’t let you out again. Always keep your relationship with them professional never let them in your personal life. Let them understand when they are over stepping the boundaries but remember to react professionally, never take it personally.
- Keep a distance – make sure that you get a desk as far away from all toxic people. Think of every excuse in the book to sit as far away from them as possible. If there is no other desks available distance yourself emotionally and mentally, make sure to leave your desk at every possible break not to be to long in their presence.
- Let them say their say – if a toxic person starts venting or continues speaking negatively let them say their say. By letting them do this it confirms their true nature to everyone else in the office and except for that they can never turn around and say that you were disrespectful towards them. Respect them for their professional position as they will need to respect you for yours.
You might work with toxic people throughout your entire career, which is of course very unfortunate but sadly a strong possibility. You need to accept and understand that you will never be able to change them so don’t even try. The best thing to do is steer clear of them and never ever let them get into your head, they aren’t worth it.
Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.George Bernard Shaw
Leave toxic people behind. If they are not helping you in a positive way then they are definitely not worth your time and your energy. Don’t waste it on them.