Are you still on the same path you were on or have you had to rethink, readjust and then press the reset button?
Wow what new unchartered waters we are in at this moment, not sure when and if life will go back to the normal that we once knew or if a new normal awaits us. As we get closer and closer to each level opening up and regaining some “freedom” again, I have to ask you this question “Are you on the same path you were on pre-lockdown or have you had to rethink your strategy, readjust your mindset and have you pressed the reset button or are you still a bit hesitant to do that?”
I have had a number of discussions with quite a few people over the last few months and there are definitely a lot of mixed feelings out there. A lot of uncertainty, worry but in the same breath there is a lot of positive people, as well as a lot of people with a lot of hope that what lies ahead for all of us is just so much better than what we had before.
As a Business Owner where do you find yourself and which of the below groups do you find yourself in?
- Still on the same track – you are still on exactly the same path you were on before lockdown, nothing in your life has really changed and life has actually been good during lockdown. You are content and just taking life day by day waiting for the day when you can go out and mingle with everyone again.
- Still on the same track but a bit hesitant – you are still on exactly the same path you were on before lockdown but you are not 100% sure if you need to make a change or if you should just carry on as normal. Things are going well in your life but you still feel uncertain and you are hesitant about making a move. You believe that you won’t need to make a change but you are also not sure.
- Still on the same track but have added services to what you currently do – your core focus and your core business hasn’t changed but as a result of lockdown you have had to implement new services into your business just to keep the bank balance ticking over until you can go back to what your original business is. You aren’t sure if you will keep these new added services once you are up and running again or if you will can them.
- You have done a 180 degree change – you have re-evaluated your business, you have canned the services that weren’t really bringing in any money and have put all your focus into what still brings in money, possibly tweaking it a bit just to fit in with the current times.
- You have made a total 360 degree change – you have canned your original business and have started something totally new.
As someone who works for a Employer where do you find yourself at this very moment>
- You still love what you are doing – you are still very happy with the work you are doing and you are looking forward to getting back to the office if you are still working remotely or you are very happy to be back at the office again.
- You still love what you are doing but have started earning a extra income on the side – you still very happy with the work that you are doing, you had a bit of a income loss during this time so have started earning some extra cash on the side.
- You have realized that you are not happy and want to leave – this time at home has made you realize that you are not happy at work or with what you are doing. You know that you need to make a move and start following a different career path but you haven’t made the move yet.
- You have realized that you are not happy so you resigned – are you one of the bold ones that realized that you are not at all happy and although this a tough time you have made the move and resigned.
Do you maybe find yourself in none of the above and you are actually just plodding along having no idea where to next or what to do next? The carpet has been pulled out from under you and you are still in a bit of a limbo. There are so many mixed emotions out there, you are not sure if we are doing the right thing, thinking the right thing or even just going in the right direction. It’s ok to feel like this, don’t be hard on yourself and just give yourself some time to process exactly what is happening and more importantly what you are feeling. Just breath and take one step at a time, all you need to do for now is just make sure that you are moving forward even if it’s tiny little steps just move forward.
For those of you plodding along or maybe having been retrenched have a look at the below and see if it might help you:
- Rethink – this is the perfect time to sit down and be honest with yourself. Ask yourself what you want out of life, what your goals are and where do you see yourself in 1 year from now. Write it all down, the key is visualization if you can see it written down you can start working on it, you can start dreaming it.
- Readjust – this is probably the hardest thing to do as this involves a mindset change. If you have been retrenched you might be feeling lost and defeated and if you are just in limbo plodding along you might feel very demotivated and very flat. This is the time when you need to have a one on one conversation with yourself, you need to put on those big girl panties, yes even if you are a man and you need to start moving forward. You need to change your mindset from that of a victim to that of a victor, I know it isn’t going to be easy, but I promise you the sooner you start working on the change the sooner the victor mindset will kick in. It does take work and even on the days when you don’t feel like you need to show up to yourself, yes to yourself and to nobody else.
- Reset – press that reset button and get going, take a step forward every day, it’s better to start and make tiny wins than to do nothing at all. Once you have pressed that reset button nothing will stand in your way. It might not be a easy road but you will succeed that I can promise you.
No matter where you are or what you are feeling you always need to make sure that you move forward every day, moving forward every day results in tiny wins and that is what you want, you want the tiny wins. It’s also so very important that you show up every day and show up to yourself to no one else.
If you feel like you are losing everything, remember that trees lose their leaves every year and still they stand tall and wait for better days to come.Unknown
You at any point in your life can turn the page in your book of life and start a new chapter. You just need to believe that you can and most important just make sure that you are the one holding the pen and that you are writing your own story.
Rethink, readjust and reset as many times as you need to just keep moving forward!